About Adult Literacy at LCA
Literacy is an essential skill in today’s society. The goal of LCA’s Adult Literacy program is to provide help for adult learners who are below a 4th grade level of reading or math, or who are learning English as a Second Language (ESL) at a basic, low, or intermediate level. We also offer a basic computer literacy class. The LCA motto, “changing lives through literacy” is attested to daily by learners, staff, and volunteers participating in our diverse, warm, and learning centered community.
Instruction is offered in class or in one-to-one tutoring by staff and volunteers. During any year we work with over 200 adults in the Fairbanks area. Whether you are part of our program or wish to be, we welcome you to explore the student and tutor pages for more information about us.
Classes for ESL are scheduled in 8 week blocks and cost $40. We have an open entry policy for these classes, so learners can start at any time. We will test and then place each ESL learner in a class or with a tutor. Call us to set up an intake! Additional classes in citizenship, American culture, and beginning use of computers are also offered.
If you are interested in becoming a student or know someone who would like to,
or call 456-READ and talk to Adult Literacy Director Melanie Wells.
Volunteer tutors typically tutor an adult learner twice a week for a total of 40 hours. The times are flexible according to what best suits the learner and the tutor. Learner-tutor pairs usually meet in one of the classrooms at the Literacy Council, but alternative sites have included the Noel Wien Library, the Rasmusun Library, or other public places such as coffee shops.
The Adult Literacy staff offer basic training to volunteers, which includes observing one of our in-house ESL classes. Once a tutor has completed training, he or she is paired with a learner.
The Adult Program staff support these tutor-learner matches
If you are interested in becoming an adult literacy tutor, here are the steps you need to take.
- call or email to get our short application and background check form (contact info below)
- complete the background check at the Troopers office (This costs $20 which we will reimburse you for, and takes less than 10 min. typically)
- set up a time to come observe one of our ESL classes
- talk with Adult Literacy Staff about potential learner matches
- meet with Adult Literacy Staff for suggestions in materials and tutoring methods for your learner
- participate in an initial meeting with the adult learner facilitated by Adult Literacy Staff
- tutor an adult learner for a total of 40 hours (flexibility for times and vacation schedules)
Adult Literacy Staff will be here for you to support your tutoring experience by providing guidence and materials, testing learners, documenting progress, and helping with any coordinating issues. No tutoring experience is required, but you do need to have completed high school, have a confident command of spoken and written English, and good inter-personal skills. What a great way to invest in your community, meet someone new, and broaden your experience!
If would like to learn about other volunteer opportunities at LCA,
If you are a current tutor and want more resources to help you,
The Adult Literacy Program Staff
Interested in the Adult Literacy Programs? Contact us!
- Melanie Wells, Director Adult Literacy Programs
- Holly De Land, Adult Literacy Support